You can click the image to visit my Math Journal page and see a slideshow of math journal entries produced by K-4 students in New York City during my demonstration lessons as a math coach. These are students’ initial attempts at math journaling (their very first prompts). Most of these lessons were taught in the second semester of the school year.
The Math Journal page also has a free model lesson script I wrote for introducing math journaling to grades K-1 and a script for grades 2-4.
You'll also find the following information:
- What IS a math journal?
- Why use math journaling?
- How should use math journals?
- How do they work?
- How often do students write in them?
- What do students write about?
- How long should students write for?
- Do students need to share their writing?
- What if students only write one sentence?
- What do students do when they're done?
- How do I introduce math journaling to my class?
- How do I collect and assess math journals?
I've also linked to some EXCELLENT math journal prompts for every grade level from 1st-12th.